Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Butternut Squash Soup

Hey! Sorry I haven't posted my recipes for a few days...school kicked it up a notch and I've been feeling a tad ill. Yesterday, I made butternut squash soup, and I think I'm addicted. It's the perfect warm and cozy comfort food.
I haven't liked it in the past, because it's always sold in a perfectly smooth, creamy consistency, and I tend to like a bit more texture in my food. I added two yellow squash to mine, which cooked down but there were still pieces of their skin throughout (not that you really even taste the difference because they're so soft, but it looks way more interesting). Here's what I did:

-One butternut squash, cut in half and seeds scooped out. To this indent, add a tablespoon or so of brown sugar. Bake the halves sugar-up on a sheet of foil in the oven for about an hour or until it's easy to poke a knife into them. About 350 degrees.
-Scoop out the tender meat (wow, that sounds so creepy) from the skin of the butternut squash, and put it in a soup pot. Add 2-3 cups of water (or more...you might want to add it as you cook it, because the soup has to cook down for a while, and the water will evaporate over that time. My rule with soup is, keep it watery until everything is almost as cooked as you'll want it in the end, then boil it like crazy, while stirring of course, until the excess water evaporates to the thickness that you want. Then it's done).
-Slice two yellow squash thinly- about 1-2mm, basically as thin as you can get the slices. This will allow them to cook down quickly, and I think the thin strands of bright yellow peel just look so pretty.
-Add a clove of minced garlic, and some cayenne, brown sugar, basil, salt, and pepper to taste. I know it sounds like a strange combination, but it's SO good.

It's a very hearty soup, so healthy, completely vegetable, and it makes me very happy. If you make it, let me know how it goes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment