Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Granola!

I've hit a bit of a creative roadblock when it comes to thinking of new things I want to make. I've just been throwing things together, and nothing has seemed good enough lately to put on the blog. Except for the granola that I made yesterday! It was delicious. So delicious, that my puppy snatched a whole pound+ of it off the counter in the night and ate all of it...goodbye, my wonderful breakfast that never came to be.
Anyway, here's the recipe:

*2 cups oats (Old-fashioned oats would be better, but we had "quick" oats on hand, and it turned out fine. Both types of oats are steamed and rolled into flakes, but quick oats are chopped up into smaller pieces, and flattened)
*1/4 cup each of whatever additions you can dream of, like shredded coconut, almonds, walnuts, raisins, craisins, sunflower seeds, flax, cheerios, etc!
*1/4 cup honey

Mix all of the above ingredients together. Melt 1/3 cup butter in a separate bowl with a pinch of cinnamon, then stir it into the granola mix. Once well-combined, add the mixture to a 9x13 baking dish, and bake for about 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees, until slightly golden on top. Let it cool, then stir and store in an airtight container. It doesn't need to be refrigerated.

It's super easy! And so much cheaper than buying granola! Like 1/10 the price.
I'll put up another post about how to make granola bars next time I make them. They're basically the same, except you have to add something to bind the ingredients together, like peanut butter, egg, milk, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment