Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Frozen yoghurt and kale lasagna

Frozen Yoghurt:
Ice cream is a funny thing with Jared and I. He doesn't like sweets enough to want to buy it as often as I do, and I'm trying to cut down on sweets in general. However, whenever we do have it, it becomes this sacred, nearly-untouchable thing in the freezer except for when we absolutely MUST HAVE ICE CREAM. So today as I was guiltily dipping in to it, I was idly comparing the ingredients to that of yogurt (we get Blue Bunny ice cream, which has the most bare-bones ingredient list I've ever seen for ice cream, with real vanilla, etc etc) and even if the ice cream is healthy for ice cream, the yoghurt is much better. Double nutrients and protein, half as much fat, and all that good stuff. So it occurred to me to look up how to make frozen yogurt...maybe it'll take the place in my heart that ice cream is currently holding, once I try to make it.
Here's the link:

http://www.refinery29.com/frozen-yogurt-recipe?page=1

p.s. Isn't it wonderful when yoghurt is spelled with an H?? It totally changes the pronunciation, and I just find it delightful. Apparently, "yoghurt" is preferred pretty much everywhere except in North America, where "yogurt" was established to be proper in the 1960s. North American that I am, I had no idea that there was another spelling for it, until I saw it labeled in the store. The word originates from 17th century Turkey, and has gone through numerous other spellings, like yoghurd, yogourt, and yahourt. Just a fun little side note!

____
Kale Lasagna...is delicious. I'm going to have to rave about all the awesomeness of Kale in another post. I had never thought to put it in lasagna! Jared actually found this recipe, and surprised me with dinner when I came home the other night.
Here's the link:


http://www.marthastewart.com/313468/lasagna-with-sausage-and-kale


We made slight variations, like only using one onion, and instead of tomatoes we used pre-made marinara sauce (I want to start making it from scratch- super easy- once we run out of this stuff). I would recommend using a sauce instead of tomatoes, whether you buy it or make it yourself, because it's not as watery as fresh tomatoes. It's what we always do for lasagna...watery lasagna is just far less than desirable.

Anyway, that's all so far, this week! I'm making squash soup tonight, so I'll add the recipe for that soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment